The Broadway Gatlyn Spectrum Grant
Donate to the Broadway Gatlyn Spectrum Grant
Medical transition is not just a desire for several transgender individuals, it is also a necessary step for individuals to feel whole; to feel like their authentic self. Gender affirmation surgeries are continuing to be a tough subject when it comes to health insurance and medical necessity. While some companies and insurance carriers do cover medical expenses associated with transitioning, an overwhelming majority don’t. This leaves transgender individuals with an overwhelming task of funding their surgeries themselves. For a lot of transgender individuals, this can be next to impossible. Through the efforts of the Imperial Court of Arizona; we want to make it possible for transgender individuals to become their authentic self but alleviating the burden of the costs associated with gender affirmation surgery.
Applying for the Grant-
This grant was developed to assist Arizona transgender individuals with gender affirmation surgeries. This grant will award one individual $5000 towards their gender affirmation surgery. The recipient will show a financial need, their active diligence in following the WPATH standards of care, active involvement in raising the needed money, active participation in organizing/scheduling their medical transition, and show active involvement in their community.
Winner will be presented with award at Coronation XV; May 2nd, 2020. Deadline for application: April 1st, 2020.
· Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States and resident of the State of Arizona for the past 365 days. (If permanent resident, please attach a copy of your residency card). MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD OR OLDER.
· Have a surgeon picked out and either a consultation scheduled or your plans to schedule this. Have surgery letters by physician and/or licensed therapist.
o If applicant has not completed all of these steps, but is planning to do so, please include your plans in your application.
· Identify who will care for and provide support post-surgery.
· Applicant must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
· Applicant must detail the efforts they have made to fund-raise and the amount of cost that they will be able to cover on their own, if any.
· Applicant must show evidence of community involvement (i.e. school, church, civic, LGBT,etc.)
· The payment will be made directly to the doctor or hospital facility. You must comply with any and all requirements according to the Standards of Care of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health’s (WPATH) as determined by your selected surgeon.